Protein is an essential protein that your body needs to thrive. When you consume protein snacks before bed, you take full advantage of a spike in growth hormones that maximize your muscle gains. Especially if you are an endurance athlete, protein provides amino acids that are needed for repair and growth. Let’s discuss the benefits of eating protein before bed, how protein is essential in your daily diet, and how exercise plays a role.
Is Eating Protein Snacks Before Bed a Good Idea?
For someone who incorporates exercise into their daily routine, you need to consume protein to repair and regenerate muscle growth. For some who prefer to work out after work, eating protein before bed allows for the protein to be digested and absorbed effectively, which may increase protein synthesis up to 22%. This improves your body’s protein balance during post-exercise overnight recovery, so you will feel more refreshed and energized for the new day ahead. It is important to remain aware of how much protein you are eating without going over the daily recommended amount, which is 0.8 g per kg of body weight for the average sedentary adult and 1.4 to 1.7 g per kg of body weight for a bodybuilder.
Be sure to learn more about the truth behind Protein by checking out our article Protein Snack Myth Busting: Exposing Protein-Based Myths & Rumors.
Just Because You’re Sleeping Doesn’t Mean You Don’t Need Protein
Believe it or not, but when your mind is asleep your body is most certainly working hard. While you are deep in REM sleep, this is the time your body uses to repair muscle, organs, and other cells after a day’s work. While deep in dream, your basal metabolic rate (BMR) burns energy to keep all of its systems functioning correctly, such as breathing, heart beating, and adjusting/balancing of hormone levels. So even though you may not be physically active, your body requires protein throughout the night.
What Other Benefits are There to Eating Protein Snacks Before Bed?
I am sure we have all been there to consume and indulge on the midnight munchies; However, they do not provide the satisfaction or nutrition your body desperately craves. Here are some added benefits to why you should eat protein before bed:
- If you are a runner, your body burns calories faster than the average person. With that in mind, your body needs more calories and energy to sufficiently power through life’s daily activities. To support that bone and muscle health, consuming a protein snack before bed will help your body recover and strengthen for the day ahead.
- Eating protein before bed boosts your body’s metabolism during the night and into the next day. So, when you wake up, you will feel energized and ready to go.
- Consuming the best protein snacks before bed are rich in protein and low in unhealthy fats. In addition to boosting your body’s metabolism, but it also helps with weight loss, curb unhealthy cravings, and promote muscle growth.
What are Some Great Protein Snack Suggestions Before Bed?
Some of the best protein snacks you can eat before bed are both rich in protein and low in unhealthy fats. This ideal combination is what will promote muscle growth and recovery. Here are our top protein snacks to eat before bedtime:
- ½ Cup of Roasted Chickpeas.
- ½ Black & White Protein Cookie.
- Cottage Cheese with Berries.
- 1x Mini Chocolate Chip Protein Cake.
- Scrambled Eggs with Whole-Grain Avocado Toast.
- 1 oz. of Cheese and Roasted Nuts.
To learn more about which snacks are considered high in protein, learn more from our article: What Snacks are High in Protein.
Barbell Bake Shop Can Help You on Your Fitness Journey!
Our priority it to help you reach your health and fitness goals by providing healthy alternatives to today’s mass-manufactured protein snack products that are on the shelves in grocery stores or across the gym counter. By presenting a fitness-related mission, our goal is to deliver healthy, yet delicious protein-snack options you can consume without the guilt. Imagine indulging in a tasty treat and feeling energized and recovered afterward? We have a selection of high protein snack options on our website, along with the nutritional information. We know how important it is to know what you are putting in your body, so we created transparent ingredients, so you know exactly what you’re eating.